7-8 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
4 large carrots, cut into 1/2 inch rings or chunks
1 large, or 2 small shallots, sliced thin
1 T butter
3 C milk, broth, or a mixture of both
1 c milk, mixed with 1/3 C flour to form a slurry
4-5 C corn (we like the flash frozen sliver queen sweet corn)
2 C extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste – for us, this is usually 3-4 T salt and about 2 T pepper
Extra milk, as needed, to thin the chowder
1. Place the cubed potatoes and carrots in a large Dutch oven, cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer 8-10 minutes until potatoes are tender
2. While potatoes and carrots are cooking, sauté the shallot in the butter in a small pan
3. Once potatoes are cooked, drain. Reserve about 1 C cooked potatoes, return the balance to the Dutch oven. Lightly mash the set aside potatoes and put them in the pot as well.
4. Add the 3 C liquid, and a hearty amount of salt and pepper, return to a simmer and cook 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the flour and milk mixture and allow to thicken. Add more milk at this point if needed.
6. Add the corn and the cheese, stir occasionally until cheese is melted.
7. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Can be topped with cooked bacon and slides green onions, if desired. We usually do not add those things and it’s great for us.