>Well, it’s just Monday evening and I’ve already deviated from my menu plan this week. But – it’s okay since I had all the ingredients on hand. Mom and I decided I would bring dinner tonight during our normal Monday night visit and dad does not like lasagna. So, I started thinking about what else I had on hand and came up with veggie beef soup. This meal is a true testimony that with a well stocked freezer and pantry, you can pull off yummy, homemade meals in no time. And, the bonus for me was this required no additional grocery shopping.
Vegetable Beef Soup:
- 1.5 lb ground beef (I had this in the freezer already browned with garlic and chopped onions)
- 2 c tomato sauce (I had some of mom’s homemade marinara in the freezer that I used)
- 6 c water
- 1 small box green peas, frozen
- 1 – 16 oz bag corn, frozen
- 1 c lima beans or butter beans, frozen
- 2 small cans tomato paste
- beef bouillon, 3-4 T
- Mrs. Dash seasoning mix, original – 3-4 t
- black pepper, 2-3 t
- Heat the ground beef in a large stock pot with about 2 T olive oil. If not pre-cooked, cook until beef is no longer pink.
- Add the tomato sauce, water, and bouillon
- Add frozen veggies and tomato paste
- Add 3-4 generous shakes of Mrs. Dash and approx 2 teaspoons black pepper
- Cook until everything is well mixed
- I did this on the stovetop, but you could easily do this in the slow cooker – just dump it all in and cook for 6-7 hours on low.
This post is linked to Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam